Who We Are
The Optimist Club of Farmington & Farmington Hills, Michigan is a voluntary organization of civic-minded men and women banded together for progressive thought and action in community service. Our membership is composed of citizens drawn from business, industry, government and other professions. Our members are motivated by their desire to contribute to the community in which they and their families draw daily benefits. There is no greater opportunity for participation in community affairs and community service than in an Optimist Club.
Our club is part of Optimist International, recognized worldwide as an organization of people committed to optimism and self-development for the improvement of youth and community.
Here are some fast facts about Optimist International:
- Founded: June 19, 1919
- First Club: Buffalo, New York, 1911
- Clubs Today: 3,500
- Membership: 114,000 (as of 7/31/02)
- Service: 6,000,000 young people served each year; 65,000 service projects conducted annually; $78,000,000 spent annually on community service projects
The Optimist Creed
- To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
- To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
- To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.
- To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.