Farmington STEAM Academy (FSA) won the “Living the Creed” National
Junior Optimist Video Contest. The video was written and created by FSA Junior Optimist students in grades 2-7.
FSA Junior Optimists were required to submit a “Living the Creed” video, that was three minutes or less, that visually illustrates the topic of Optimist Creed.
The Optimist Creed is a promise that includes:
● To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
● To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
● To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
● To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
● To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
● To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
● To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
● To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
● To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
● To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
Submissions were accepted by Junior Optimist Clubs only. Entries were judged on original content, creativity, composition, story quality, and the extent to which the topic question was answered. Five finalists were chosen by a panel involving members of the Optimist International Marketing & Communications Committee and Optimist International staff based on the following criteria:
1. Club name included in video [10 points]
2. Explanation/utilization of theme [10 points]
3. Use of visuals, visual effects [20 points]
4. Creativity [20 points]
5. Clear storyline and flow of video [10 points]
6. Use of time [20 points]
7. Video quality [10 points]
Once the five finalists were chosen, the videos were posted for the public to vote on a winner. The winner was chosen by popular vote. All Reel Optimism video submissions will be shown at the 2018 Optimist International Convention in Ottawa. As the winner, the FSA Junior Optimist Club won a $1,500 club grant. The Junior Optimist Club must use the funds for a club project that benefits youth in the community.
The winning video: